Likelihood of having a safe at home varies little except that the wealthiest investors are somewhat less likely to have a safe at home.
- Eleven percent store jewelry in a safe deposit box while 31 percent store jewelry in their home safe. Only 2 percent have a vault.
- Ten percent store precious metals in a safe deposit box while the same percentage store their gold in their home safe.
- Art and antiques are generally stored in a home safe.
- Half (49 percent) of investors store their will in their home safe while 29 percent store it in a safe deposit box at a bank. Deeds, titles, and insurance papers are stored in the home safe by 44 percent of investors and in a safe deposit box at the bank by 31 percent of investors.
- Twelve percent store stock certificates in their home safe and 12 percent store savings bonds in there as well. Five percent store treasury certificates in the home safe. But 12 percent store stock certificates in a bank safe deposit box along with 14 percent who store savings bonds and 6 percent who store treasury certificates at the bank.